Skip to main content

Fancy New Keyboard

Dear Nathalie,

This post is more about me than about you.

Because, sometimes, it's important for mommies to think about themselves.

My birthday was yesterday. I turned blankety blank years old. Bleh.

I have a very clear memory of when your grandma turned 30. And then when she turned 40. And then, 50.

I hope that you get to have those memories. I hope they stick. I hope you get more of them than I had.

As I get older, I start to think more and more about my mom as a person. Not as my mom, but as a woman who went through a lot. I think about the struggles she had growing up. I think about the person she became and the life she created for her family.

It's still hard for me to think about your grandma for too long. I still get sad...overwhelmed sometimes with grief. But it is important to keep thinking about her. I have so many of her qualities, both the good and the bad. I have to focus on the bad so I don't repeat some of her mistakes.

But the good.....I'm so grateful for. The good makes me one kick-ass mom. We have a damn good time.

And that, dear Nathalie, is a memory I hope you hold on to.

Love,
Mom



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crazy Day

Dear Nathalie, It's "Crazy Day" at your daycare today.  We got you all decked out with three ponytails and mismatched socks and shoes.  Why does this warrant a letter?  Because of the way you asked if I'd take your picture. Nathalie:  Mommy, can we take fashion pictures? Mommy:  uhhhh, yeah, we can take pictures. Nathalie:  Okay, I want to do three fashion pictures. Here's what happened next: Fashion Picture # 1 Fashion Picture #2 Fashion Picture #3 WTF are you watching on tv?  Is Wow Wow Wubbzy something I need to pay closer attention to??  Mickey Mouse Clubhouse features America's Next Top Model?  You are a silly, silly little girl, dear Nathalie. Love, Mom

Late night letter

Dear Nathalie, Mommy had one of her very late nights at work again.  You asked me, again, today when would I be able to stay home with you all the time.  I know you're only five and you don't understand the idea of needing an income, but every time you ask me that I feel so guilty for having to be a working mom.  Yes, it's true, I love what I do.  I'm good at my career...that's why I've been doing it for so long.  But if it were economically possible, mommy would quit her job in a heart beat and stay home with you.  I grew up with two working parents.  I was a daycare kid when I was your age, too.  The whole idea of "stay-at-home-moms" seemed so silly to me before I had you.  But those weeks...those few precious weeks of vacation I have every year, when I DO get to stay home with you.....they are the best weeks of my life.  Not just because I get to spend time with you....that's awesome...but I also get to prepare MEALS for th...

Dear Nathalie, Day One

Dear Nathalie, This is mommy's first blog and first letter to you.  Stay with me on this, it's all new to me.  Technology moves fast  and there are so many things that are going to change in the coming years, this may seem pretty lame to you by the time you read it.  And yes, in case you're wondering, I did steal the idea from a googlechrome commercial.  Mommy is not all that creative on her own.  But, here we go: You started at a new daycare today!  A new adventure for you that seems to have been pretty easy for you to embark upon.  The second we walked through the playground gate a little boy walked ran up to you.  "Hi!  I'm Nevin.  Let's be friends!  Come play with me on the playground." And off you ran.  No goodbye.  No hug.  No tears.  Such a big girl.  These are the kind of moments I always thought I'd share with your grandma.  I'd drop you off then give her a call and we'd ta...