Nathalie is my daughter. When she started her adventure into elementary school, I thought I should start recording my thoughts before they fluttered away with the rest of my memory.







Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Grandpapa

Dear Nathalie,

Your Grandpapa passed away today.  You asked to go to daycare today because it was water play day.  Your favorite.  I wish you were home with me though.  I'd go pick you up, but I can't stop crying long enough for it to be safe.

You loved your Grandpapa....he loved you too.  When you were very little, he used to refer to you as "the little fella."  When you turned one, he had a shirt made for you that read:  I'm not a fella, I'm a girl!  We all got a kick out of it.

He was so excited to pick out presents for you....dresses, toys to go with your play kitchen.  He used to ask your Grandma if she'd go with him to pick out outfits.  Before we all moved away (us and your auntie and cousins) Grandpapa would buy all you girls matching easter dresses.  He loved it.

What was so great about your Grandpapa, my Pepere, was the stories he would tell.  He was such a happy man that loved to share so many fun memories of his life back east, his time in the service, and stories of life with Memere....you never got to meet her, but she was a great lady.

I knew this day was coming.....Grandpapa was getting so tired, so frustrated with the aging process.  You could see the irritation in is face when he was struggling for a memory.  He missed his wife so much and now, they're together again.  It doesn't make it easier to say goodbye.

You've had to see mommy deal with a lot of loss already in your short little life.  Grandma, Grandpa Healy...and now Grandpapa.....and I know at your age it is nearly impossible for you, dear Nathalie, to even begin to understand death.....but memories are strong, and the people we love and lose will always be with us in our hearts.

Love,
Mom

1 comment: