Skip to main content

Dreams of Paris

Dear Nathalie,

Every month I wipe down the white board calendar and fill in a new month. You're usually there with me and you always ask if there are any birthdays and what holidays are coming up.  Well, July is a busy month!  There are tons of holidays and birthdays.  Your grandpa has his birthday on the 3rd.  Then there's Independence Day.  And of course, Bastille Day.  When I drew the French flag and a loose interpretation of the Eiffel Tower, you knew right away that it was a holiday that had something to do with France...so SMART. Here is how our conversation went:

Nathalie:  Mommy, are we ever going to see Paris?
Mommy:  Yes, of course.  Someday mommy will take you to see Paris.
Nathalie:  We can meet a lot of french people there.
Mommy:  Yes, I'm sure we will.
Nathalie:  French people speak french.  It's also called France.

Very nice, Captain Obvious. 

All joking aside,  when you were first born, and mommy was certain she'd be a single mom a lot longer than she has turned out to be, I made a promise to you that I would take you to Paris the summer before you started kindergarten.  That would have been this summer. 

Plans change and life swings different things at you.  When you were two days old I had no idea that 6 months or so later I would meet an amazing man that would end up being such an important and strong part of my life.  I had no idea then that I would be relocating us to Southern California and starting a new chapter in our lives.  I like what we have going here, though.  Life is good and mommy is happier than she's been in a long time.

I will still bring you to Paris, dear Nathalie.  I will take you to the top of the Eiffel Tower and show you the city from the steps in front of the Sacre Coeur.  We will sample sweets from patisseries and eat baguettes while relaxing along the Seine.  We will climb the steps of the Arc de Triomphe and gaze at the Champs Elysees.

Someday.

Love,
Mom

Comments

  1. Although crowded, a great time to go will be when she is 18 or 21 during the holidays. The city is beautiful at night with all the lights and decorations. Love you, Patti

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Crazy Day

Dear Nathalie, It's "Crazy Day" at your daycare today.  We got you all decked out with three ponytails and mismatched socks and shoes.  Why does this warrant a letter?  Because of the way you asked if I'd take your picture. Nathalie:  Mommy, can we take fashion pictures? Mommy:  uhhhh, yeah, we can take pictures. Nathalie:  Okay, I want to do three fashion pictures. Here's what happened next: Fashion Picture # 1 Fashion Picture #2 Fashion Picture #3 WTF are you watching on tv?  Is Wow Wow Wubbzy something I need to pay closer attention to??  Mickey Mouse Clubhouse features America's Next Top Model?  You are a silly, silly little girl, dear Nathalie. Love, Mom

Nathalie v Concrete

Dear Nathalie,   Your adventures at the day care have been exciting so far and you've only been there THREE days!  It seems as though you possess the grace that I had at your age.  (wah wah)  Did I ever tell you about the time I tripped in the cross walk on my way to kindergarten and skinned both my knees?  What a sight I was....   So, clearly, the nose took a beating in this one, but you handled the whole thing well.  Only four unnecessary bandaids.  Well done.   More importantly than your fall, I wanted this letter to capture a memory I hope to never lose.  We sang your lullaby together tonight.  "You are my Sunshine."  You sang nearly every word with me in the sweetest voice I've ever heard.  It was a make-mommy's-heart-melt kind of moment.  You aren't going to be a baby for much longer.  You're a big kid starting at a big school in a few months.  Now I know what your grandma was talking about when she would tell me that her heart was breaking ev...

Robot Dreams

Dear Nathalie, Tonight, while saying goodnight to everyone, Ron told you to be sure to have sweet dreams. Ron:  Dream of sweet things like ladybugs. Nathalie:  And castles. Ron:  And flowers. Nathalie:  And unicorns. Ron:  And glitter. Nathalie:  And ROBOTS. Then....the dance...... Thanks for the laughs tonight.  You're the best. Love, Mom