Skip to main content

Over a month??? What happened?

Dear Nathalie,

I'm sorry it's been so long since I've written to you.....I guess when it comes time for you to read all of these, you most likely will just read through them one after another, so it won't seem like so much time has passed. That being said....

Halloween has come and gone. You were The Little Mermaid this year, red wig and all. Everyone loved your costume and you were sure to make sure that everyone that loved your "hair" new that it was just a wig. Silly girl. Now we're getting ready for Thankgsiving and Christmas and then, mommy's least favorite holiday, New Year's Day.

It is supposed to be a day of new beginnings. The first day of a new year.....how exciting. I just can't find a lot of joy and hope in that day...not yet anyway. It is still to me the day your grandma died. Nothing whatsoever to celebrate. 

I like to think that this year I'm doing better. That a second year without grandma at the holidays will not be as hard as last year was....and maybe it will be. I think sometimes our anxiety of how we're going to feel in situations is worse than how we actually end up feeling when those times come. 

I guess I'm trying to slip in a little life advice here. See, what I've learned is that we always psych ourselves up for some really awful outcome. Most people do anyway. That's why sometimes people lie....they think that's better than the possibility of what will happen if they tell the truth. 

Sometimes we don't let ourselves try new things because we're afraid of the unknown. Afraid to go to the doctor because we fear what might be diagnosed. Afraid to fall in love because we've been hurt before. 

Don't be afraid of life, dear Nathalie. Try new things. Meet new people. Travel to new places. And look forward to holidays that celebrate new beginnings.

Love,
Mom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crazy Day

Dear Nathalie, It's "Crazy Day" at your daycare today.  We got you all decked out with three ponytails and mismatched socks and shoes.  Why does this warrant a letter?  Because of the way you asked if I'd take your picture. Nathalie:  Mommy, can we take fashion pictures? Mommy:  uhhhh, yeah, we can take pictures. Nathalie:  Okay, I want to do three fashion pictures. Here's what happened next: Fashion Picture # 1 Fashion Picture #2 Fashion Picture #3 WTF are you watching on tv?  Is Wow Wow Wubbzy something I need to pay closer attention to??  Mickey Mouse Clubhouse features America's Next Top Model?  You are a silly, silly little girl, dear Nathalie. Love, Mom

Nathalie v Concrete

Dear Nathalie,   Your adventures at the day care have been exciting so far and you've only been there THREE days!  It seems as though you possess the grace that I had at your age.  (wah wah)  Did I ever tell you about the time I tripped in the cross walk on my way to kindergarten and skinned both my knees?  What a sight I was....   So, clearly, the nose took a beating in this one, but you handled the whole thing well.  Only four unnecessary bandaids.  Well done.   More importantly than your fall, I wanted this letter to capture a memory I hope to never lose.  We sang your lullaby together tonight.  "You are my Sunshine."  You sang nearly every word with me in the sweetest voice I've ever heard.  It was a make-mommy's-heart-melt kind of moment.  You aren't going to be a baby for much longer.  You're a big kid starting at a big school in a few months.  Now I know what your grandma was talking about when she would tell me that her heart was breaking ev...

Robot Dreams

Dear Nathalie, Tonight, while saying goodnight to everyone, Ron told you to be sure to have sweet dreams. Ron:  Dream of sweet things like ladybugs. Nathalie:  And castles. Ron:  And flowers. Nathalie:  And unicorns. Ron:  And glitter. Nathalie:  And ROBOTS. Then....the dance...... Thanks for the laughs tonight.  You're the best. Love, Mom