Nathalie is my daughter. When she started her adventure into elementary school, I thought I should start recording my thoughts before they fluttered away with the rest of my memory.







Thursday, June 23, 2011

Dinner for One

Dear Nathalie,
 
It is just about 7:30 on a Thursday evening.  We, your family, all sat down to eat dinner at around 6:30.  As you can see from the picture, this is yet another instance in which you have found yourself alone at the dinner table. 
 
I have to say, I was a slow eater as a child.  I would talk and talk and talk through dinner, telling stories of my day or just jabbering on about nonsense.  I found myself alone at the table a lot too....but I eventually grew out of that.  I get frustrated with you throughout our meals.  If someone were to walk by the house, they would undoubtedly here me yelling, "Nathalie, eat your FOOD."  There comes a point when I just have to get up from the table.  Sometimes Ron will sit there with you.  Sometimes he won't.  You just don't seem to change your routine.  I can't remember the last time we sat down for a meal and you didn't drop your fork.  Or a time when you had to get a spoon instead.  Or needed to do just one more thing.  I'm not a mommy that likes to bargain.  You'll rarely hear me say "Just two more bites and you can get up."  I really believe you need to eat your dinner.
 
So there you sit.  Eating alone.  One day, like me, you'll grow lonely at the table.  You'll learn to pick up the pace and keep your mouth shut long enough to enjoy your food while it's hot.  Until then, I know your grandma is up in heaven laughing at me.  The predicament I'm now in with my own, painfully slow, eater.
 
Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment