Nathalie is my daughter. When she started her adventure into elementary school, I thought I should start recording my thoughts before they fluttered away with the rest of my memory.







Sunday, August 14, 2011

Two-ish days before kindergarten.....

You and Mommy in Vancouver, B.C.

Dear Nathalie,

I haven't written you a letter in awhile...I know.  But we were soooooo worn out from our road trip up to Canada and back that I just haven't had the energy to sit down and write.  Well, let me rephrase that....YOU haven't given me TWO minutes to sit down and write.

Since my vacation started, you have been stuck to me like glue.  Aren't you sick of me yet?  I completely understand....but I also just don't get it.  You are ALL over me ALL the time.  I know there will be a time when you want absolutely nothing to do with me and I'll look back and wish for these days when you couldn't get enough of me.  But for now....give mommy a break!!!

I did realize today, though, that we will actually be spending less time together once school starts for you. Our routine had become quite comfortable for you.  I would have you stay home with me when I had a day off during the week instead of taking you to daycare.  Now that school is starting, that won't happen anymore.  You have to go to school every day.  Mommy is looking forward to time to herself again,  I can tell you that much.  I know it might be rough for you because I don't have the weekends off very often, but I'm sure you'll adjust to the new routine just fine.

So Wednesday is the day!  Kindergarten begins and you are that much closer to big girl status.  We finished up your school shopping today.  A few more outfits and some shoes....three pairs of shoes to be exact...and I think you're all set.  Tuesday night we go to the Ice Cream Social to find out who your teacher is and meet your classmates.  It's all very exciting for you....you just can't wait!  I started thinking more about your grandma though, with this big day in your life coming up.  I miss her so much.  I wish that she were here to see what a big girl you are becoming...to see how excited you are to start school and make new friends.  I wish she were here to give me advice on how to handle the "sassypants" phase you're in, as I most certainly was the same.  I wish she were here still so that when I drop you off at school on Wednesday, I could call her and get through the bittersweet moments of watching your baby grow up.

I love you SO much, Dear Nathalie.  Even when you are stuck like glue to me....

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment