Nathalie is my daughter. When she started her adventure into elementary school, I thought I should start recording my thoughts before they fluttered away with the rest of my memory.







Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Professional Seven-year-old

Dear Nathalie,

As we were finishing dinner last night, Ron and I were talking about how great you are at being seven. I can't recall exactly what sparked that conversation (mostly because I'm extremely tired and getting older) but right on cue you came over with your little paper fortune teller thing (we used to call them "cootie catchers" when I was little) and told me to pick a color. We went through the whole thing and at the end, my fortune was "You will be a princess." You then went on to read aloud all the fortunes. That you wrote. 

You will have xray vision.

You will have rainbow vision.

You will have an extra arm.

You will have an extra eye.

You will be a queen.

You will be a king.

You will be a princess.

You will be a prince.

You, my dear, are excellent at being seven. 

Some of these things I have to start capturing on video because they are much to complicated to translate to mere written words. It's all in how you communicate. The words you use and the tone you select to get your little points across. 

So many opinions already on how the world works. So many questions. 

Last night you wanted to know what a proposal was. Then, what was a business proposal. Why? Where is this coming from? 

I asked you to say goodnight to everyone and it was at that exact moment that you noticed my cookbook shelf. 

"You have a FRENCH cookbook??" Yes, love....and that was my French Laundry cookbook.

This particular letter is extremely scattered, but it will spark a memory for me later, and that's what matters. 

I'll write another soon....Friday morning probably....as I sit and wait to pick you up from your last day of 1st grade. Growing so fast. 

Stop it.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment